Founder and President
209 Fayetteville St., Raleigh, NC 27603
Steve Metcalf, a twenty-five year veteran of governmental affairs in both the public and private sector, founded The Policy Group in 2003. Serving as the firm’s president, Mr. Metcalf leads the organization and its effective advocacy efforts with his broad governmental background and acute understanding of the complexities in the legislative process.
A former Senator in the North Carolina General Assembly representing the western part of the state from 1999 through 2004, Mr. Metcalf previously served the State of North Carolina under the administration of Governor Jim Hunt. From 1993 through 1996, Mr. Metcalf held the following positions: Deputy Secretary for the Department of Administration, Deputy Secretary for the Department of Transportation, and Assistant to the Governor.
Mr. Metcalf began his public service career in the 1980s and gained a working understanding of the complex legal and political issues facing county governments, while serving as the first professional county manager for Buncombe County from 1989 through 1993. In this capacity he effectively cultivated relationships with fellow county managers and community leaders across the state, while facilitating vital programs on the county’s behalf with state agencies like the North Carolina Department of Transportation, the Department of Heath and Human Services, and the Department of Environment and National Resources.
Armed with extensive experience in both the public and private sector, Mr. Metcalf holds applicable knowledge in issue management and consulting services for governmental agencies, including market research and polling for public agencies and private businesses. A tireless advocate, Mr. Metcalf actively maintains meaningful and productive relationships with elected officials, appointed board members, and community leaders across North Carolina.
- County and Municipal Administration, Institute of Government, University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill
- Master of Public Administration, University of Tennessee, Knoxville, Tennessee
- Bachelor of Arts, Political Science, Appalachian State University, Boone, North Carolina
Professional Activities/Community Involvement:
- Appalachian State University Board of Visitors
- Handmade In America Board of Directors
- Metropolitan Sewerage District of Buncombe County Board of Directors
- North Carolina Progress Board
- North Carolina Film Council
- North Carolina Rural Economic Development Center Board of Directors
- Western Carolina University Board of Trustees